Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tarantino Comics - Issue 21

Besides not having enough time to write blog posts, I've been trying to spread out my presentation of Tarantino Comics since Convention Season always seems so far away. However, in two weeks, Mega Con will be in town and I'll be able to commission some more comic covers! So presenting an issue from 2011's Heroes Con, Tarantino Comics #21 was illustrated by Doug Dabbs.

Inspired from Inglourious Basterds, Doug depicts the darkness of Colonel Hans Landa aiming his pistol at Shosanna as she narrowly escapes from the LaPadite Dairy Farm. Over the last five years of collecting original art, the art most appealing to my eye has a dark and sketchy tone. In a similar vain to Alex Maleev or Michael Lark, Doug captures this scene as if it's coming from film noir. Doug first drew The Shadow in my Pulp Sketchbook and he knocked it out of the park. I'm glad I came back as he portrayed the essence of Landa in a cinematic manner.

Be sure to check out more of Doug's work at http://www.dougdabbs.com/ . In particular from Oni Press, check out his art in the original graphic novel Holliday, coming out later this year. It's a modern-day and urban telling of the O.K. Corral, so it should definitely fit the spirit of Tarantino's Django Unchained in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment