Sunday, July 14, 2013

Criterion Collection - July 2013 Barnes and Noble Sale Part 1


I've made some mention before, but I'm a huge fan of the Criterion Collection.  Particularly the genre film releases are my favorite (such as Repoman and Godzilla), but I can find something to appreciate in all of their editions.  I'd love to get a copy of every spine number (because of my collector mentality), however my wallet can't afford it.  However, whenever I see a 50% off sale, I'm sure to take advantage of it whether its on the Criterion Website or Amazon.com .

For both comic books and movies, I enjoy the hunt of physically adding things to my collection.  Luckily, Barnes and Noble holds a 50% off sale twice a year (July and November).  Since I consider it Christmas in July, I've already taken advantage of the sale and picked up a couple of things at the Dr. Philips store in Orlando:
  • High and Low:  Directed by Japanese legend Akira Kurosawa, this 1963 thriller is about a rich industrialist and the tension involving the ransom of his kidnapped family.
  • Eating Raoul:  This 1980's dark comedy is the genre selection of my most recent buy.  I haven't spoiled myself of the twist yet, but I'm pretty sure it has a relation to Sweeney Todd.
  • Breathless:  Directed by Jean-Luc Godard, this film  pretty much helped jump start the French New Wave.   I haven't seen much from this era of film, but from what I've seen, I've enjoyed.
  • Band of Outsiders:  Also known as Bande à part, this is Tarantino's favorite Godard film.  Inspiring the name of Tarantino's production company (and publisher of Tarantino Comics), I'm excited to see this film inspired from the early American Gangster Movies. 
  • Zazie dans le métro:  I don't know much about this film other than it contains fantastical and cartoonish comedy elements brought together by French director Louis Malle.

Although these are all things I've yet to see, I'm pretty excited to watch them.  Be sure to check back as I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of this sale each week.


No comments:

Post a Comment