Monday, July 9, 2012

Bullet Points - Exploitation with Some Wes Anderson

 
I'm constantly finding new things to watch but just don't have the time to write fully involved reviews due to school. So as a compromise, I'm going to bullet and give some quick thoughts of what I watch each week (and I promise Tarantino Comics is the staple of this blog and will not disappear).  So for this July 4th week, here's what I watched:  

Shogun Assassin - I've finally started the journey of my 5 movie blu-ray set.  I originally picked this up because  BB falls asleep to this revenge flick in Kill Bill.  The assassin's son's narration is very chilling, but is balanced with some fun creativity.  For example, the baby's wooden stroller is like a James Bond car, but instead of machine guns, it's loaded with blades of steel.  I enjoyed this film overall and excited to watch the rest of the series.   

Wilfred - I missed the season premiere two weeks ago, but I quickly caught back up.  Elijah Wood is an extremely likable character and it pains me to see him be tortured by a mischievous dog (who he sees as a man in a giant dog suit).  The situations are uncomfortable, almost unbearable, but that's why I continue to watch.  Also it's nice to see Chloe from Smallville... and I must say, I like her as a brunette.  

Desperado - I mainly put it in for some background noise while studying, but I forgot how beautiful Salma Hayek is.  Also, the Mariachi inspired me to learn some Spanish guitar - so I ended up buying a Manuel Rodriguez flamenco guitar.  Guitar Center had some Independence Day sales, so I decided to splurge.  It's a much different style from the Green Day style I'm use to playing, but it will be fun to learn.  Maybe there will be some Chingon covers posted by me in the future...  

The Faculty - I've never seen this Robert Rodriguez film before, but I had to watch it since it was recently added to Netflix.  With an awesome cast - Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett as the heroes, Jordana Brewster as the pre-Rachel Berry hottie, and Salma Hayek as the school nurse - this is a fun teen horror movie.  

Moonrise Kingdom -  Although I may be biased since Scouting was such a strong influence in my youth, hands down, this is the best movie I've seen this year.  The only Wes Anderson film I've ever seen was The Royal Tenenbaums (which I remember enjoying in high school), but I have to go back and watch some of his other work.  Almost all of his films have are part of the Criterion Collection so that has to be saying something.  Anyways, between rotary and parallel panning (there's probably more technical terms than what I just used), Moonrise Kingdom has some of the most creative film techniques I've ever seen (on par with DePalma in my opinion).  With a star studded cast (Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, and Frances McDormand just to name a few), this comedy has many heartfelt moments that made me fall in love with film all over again.
That's it for this week.  Next week, plan on some Breaking Bad, hopefully some Savages, and yes... Katy Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment