Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Criterion Collection - July 2013 Barnes and Noble Sale Part 4


Here's the last batch of Criterion Collection films I picked up at the Barnes and Noble in Winter Garden (I know, I've waited so long to write that it's going to be the November sale before we know it):
  • The Seventh Seal - I know very little of Ingmar Bergman, however the premise seems very enticing (a knight playing a fateful game of Chess against Death).  Plus, Monty Python mockingly mentions it in their trailer for the Holy Grail.
  • The Battle of Algiers - Filmed in a documentary style, this jammed packed edition tells a story about one of the most bloodiest revolutions in modern history.
  • Purple Noon - Also known as the original "Talented Mr. Ripley," this movie is filled with nail-biting suspense... 
  • The Last Days of Disco - I love when Criterion throws in "modern" films to their collection.  Featuring an awesome soundtrack and a young Kate Beckinsale, I'm excited to sit back and enjoy this movie.
  • Charade - A suspenseful mystery starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, this romantic thriller was not filmed by Hitchcock, but the great Stanley Donen
  • The Devil's Backbone - Part of Guillermo del Toro's Apocalyptic Vampire Trilogy, this eerie movie takes place during the Spanish Civil war.  With some light-hearted child moments sprinkled throughout this film, this movie is truly powerful, yet terrifying.
I love Criterion, but I'm ready to talk about some new things.  Stay tuned as I'm excited to share my new love for Disney Blu-rays and Shout Factory releases!


No comments:

Post a Comment