Saturday, August 29, 2020

Quick Letterboxd Thoughts: Cleopatra Jones (1973)

Here's some quick Letterboxd thoughts for CLEOPATRA JONES (1973)https://boxd.it/1jdmtp


I enjoyed CLEOPATRA JONES quite a bit.  Although tame compared to most blaxploitation flicks, I’d have no problem showing this to my daughter (no awkward “pimp” scenes).  Cleo is treated with respect - she’s a likable character, fashionable, strong, smart, and beautiful.  Plus she’s a super-spy who knows Kung-fu.  Back in the 70’s, I’m sure she was a role model to some little girls.

Although I prefer COFFY and FOXY BROWN, the production quality of this film is terrific (although I’m sure it had studio backing).  The aspect ratio is wide so you get a lot of action in the frame.  Also, the car chase scene was well executed - you have to love films that take advantage of the LA River.  I’m glad I picked up the Warner Archive disc - It really pops in image and sound.


Follow me on Letterboxd at https://letterboxd.com/jshardin86/

No comments:

Post a Comment