Friday, August 28, 2020

Quick Letterboxd Thoughts: A Simple Favor (2018)

Here's some quick Letterboxd thoughts for A SIMPLE FAVOR (2018)https://boxd.it/1iTmJd


As the end credits were rolling for A SIMPLE FAVOR, I said to my wife, “This was a comedic version of GONE GIRL.”  My wife replies, “At least I’ll be able to sleep tonight.”

As the story progressed, I could foresee how this plot was going to unfold.  However, I didn’t care - Paul Feig’s dark comedy was quite entertaining.   The banter between Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively was fun and amusing.  Kendrick is the sweet girl you should like, but underneath her perky mom disguise, the audience (and her snarky parental peers) knows she’s hiding some demons.  Lively is the opposite - She’s a terrible mom, but since she carries this coolness, I found myself rooting for her.  Essentially she’s a more likable Regina George who didn’t inherit her lifestyle - She had to fight for it.

Finally I really enjoyed the soundtrack.  It has a hip soundtrack that fits these grandiose characters.  Also my ears definitely perked up when I heard the flamboyant horns of Chick Habit.  Just like it’s inclusion in DEATH PROOF, it’s usage is quite fitting for this film - It’s essentially a revenge song whose anthem sings “you’ll get yours.”


Follow me on Letterboxd at https://letterboxd.com/jshardin86/

No comments:

Post a Comment