Wednesday, December 18, 2013

2013: A Year in Review - Part 1


On my Ipad, I have a running list of every movie I watch.  My intention is to write a nice review for each movie, but then life gets in the way...  However, I feel hindered to write anything significant because I have such an enormous back list to cover.  I even feel guilty to watch any more films since I'm afraid my list will get longer.  So to fulfill my obligatory task of providing thoughts on the films I've watched throughout the year, I'm going to give a sentence or two of all the films I've yet to write about:

Life of pi - This is a beautiful film that deserved all the Oscars it earned.  The interactions with the Tiger and other animals are so believable, that I prefer this CGI to Avatar's.

Compliance - Fact is stranger than fiction.  This film was so disturbing that I had a horrible time falling asleep that night.  Just look up the Bullitt County McDonald's case...

The Hunted - In the last year, I've become a huge fan of William Friedkin.  This isn't his best film, but it's fun to watch Tommy Lee Jones fight Benicio Del Toro with knives.

Warrior - In no way, shape, or form do I consider myself a sports guy.  However, I find many sports films to be pretty entertaining.  I enjoyed this one even more because it involved MMA fighters.  Plus, you can see from this film why Tom Hardy's physique made him a good choice for Bane.

Cabin in the Woods - This is a horror nerd's dream.  I particularly enjoyed the cells of monsters making homage to all the scary flicks I love.  Oh, and there is a mermaid.

Dredd - Basically this movie is a remake of The Raid... however it's better just because it stars Judge Dredd (yeah, I like comic books).  Also, he doesn't take the mask off.

The Town - Ben Affleck has proven himself to be a great actor and director.  It's a little more serious than Point Break, but it's an awesome heist movie taking place in B-Town.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - So many people are shocked when they find out I've only recently watched this film for the first time.  It's a fun movie, but I'd prefer watching another Terry Gilliam film such as Time Bandits.

Duck soup - The Marx Brothers are definitely fun and entertaining.  It's somewhat of a social commentary on dictatorships, but I laugh out loud at the high jinks of the mirror image scene.

Iron Man 3 - I didn't very much care for Iron Man 2, but Shane Black's film was definitely a step up.  The use of The Mandarin was realistic for our world and I enjoyed the "buddy cop" relationship between Tony Stark and Jim Rhodes.

Be sure to check back soon, as I'm sure there will be at least three more segments of my year in review.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment