Saturday, December 21, 2013

2013: A Year in Review - Part 2


This is just a continuation from the last post:

Evil dead - So this was a viewing of the remake, not the Raimi version.  Although I found it to be more disturbing, I prefer the original.  However, it wasn't terrible.  Plus, I had some fun tormenting Angie as she sat in the theatre beating and cursing me out throughout the entire film...

Pain and Gain -  Mark Wahlberg and The Rock play as stupid meatheads.  Although there's no Michael Bay explosions, the story is enticing and you can't believe the situations that ensue... However, maybe you can believe it just because it takes place in Miami.  

The Great Gatsby - The visuals and music of this film made me appreciate the novel we had to read back in high school. The sequences I enjoyed the most were Gatsby's crazy parties.  They have the same flash and glamour of those "Bacardi" commercials.

Romeo and Juliet - Since I enjoyed Gatsby in theatres, I thought to revisit another English Class standard by Baz Luhrmann.  The visuals and acting were good (it's fun to see Claire in something other than Homeland), but I still had a hard time interpreting Shakespeare... I know, not very scholarly of me.

Star Trek Into Darkness - Overall, this was a cool re-envision of The Wrath of Khan.  However, when J.J. Abrams takes over Star Wars, I hope he eases up with the lens flares and shaky cam.

Man on Wire -  I decided to watch this documentary after seeing Nik Wallenda cross the Grand Canyon.  Featuring Philippe Petit, we discover he's a daredevil who's a little more mischievous than Wallenda.  Not only does this film beautiful display Petit's walk across the Twin Towers, but suspensefully describes the secret preparations he had to perform beforehand.

Meet the Woodmans - Following a family of artists ranging from photography to pottery, this documentary shows how some art is decades ahead of its time.

World War Z - Usually a zombie flick takes place under tight quarters with a small group of characters.  This story takes a different approach by traveling with Brad Pitt across the world to find the cause behind the "Zombie Disease."

Oz: The Great and Powerful - I enjoyed James Franco and the various actresses playing the witches.  However, this film would have been so much better if Sam Raimi stuck with practical effects rather than the cheap-looking green screen.

Cosmopolis - Cronenberg has always been a master of body horror.  The thought of just watching Robert Pattinson ride around in a fancy limousine seems like a boring plot.  But as he meets intriguing characters and escapes a violent "revolution" in the background, Cronenberg has proven he can derive psychological terror as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment