Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Academy Awards 2011

I'm not covering everything that happened at this year's Oscars, but I just wanted to share a couple of things that caught my eyes:

  • James Franco and Anne Hathaway were pretty good hosts. Awkward at times, but maybe their appeal to the younger audience worked...
  • Kirk Douglas presented the award for Best Supporting Actress. I haven't seen any of his work, but this guy was hilarious! I was scared he was going to fall over, but he kept the crowd rolling. Maybe I'll start with Kubrick's Spartacus.
  • I thought Inception had the coolest story and concept this year, but the Academy did not recognize this. Luckily it was technically awesome so it at least won for Visual and Sound Categories.
  • I don't keep myself educated with the Foreign Films Category as much as I should, but the small snip-it they showed for the film Dogtooth looked super intriguing. It didn't win, but how could you not be curious of someone leaping at a cat with garden shears. It's live streaming on Netflix, so I'll be adding it to my Instant Queue.
  • When you have your favorite movies for the year, of course you want them to win every category they are nominated for. However, the only category I was adamant for my choice winning was Best Actress. Natalie Portman was truly mesmerizing in Black Swan and she absolutely deserved the award. I'll be blogging more on this film more when it gets released on Blu-Ray in March. Way to go Natalie!

No comments:

Post a Comment