Friday, February 18, 2011

Tarantino Comics - Final Issue

Just so I don't scare anyone, this is not the last "Tarantino Comics" artwork! I will be getting more soon!


In the comicbook world, publishers usually have fancy covers for first, anniversary, and final issues. Sometimes these covers have glow-in-the-dark or hologram images (they especially did this in the 90's). So for Tarantino Comics, I decided the final issue should have a special cover. Using the last two pages of my black sketchbook, Avery Butterworth drew an awesome piece that makes a wrap-around cover.

Inspired from the final scene in Inglourious Basterds, I knew I wanted Avery to do this piece. If Tarantino Comics were to go out of print, this would be the grand and finale image it would end with. The only reason I got this final issue drawn so soon was so another artist wouldn't draw this image in a regularly numbered issue. My uploaded image cannot do this piece justice as I had to combine two scanned images (and forgive me, I'm no photoshop expert). To hopefully better describe this wrap-around cover, see the photo below:


Avery is a local Florida artist that I am a huge fan of his work. I have gotten many other pieces from him and he never disappoints. He does astonishing work using pencils, ink, watercolors, whiteout, or anything you can think of. In this particular piece, I love how he put the skull and swastika in the background along with his "Nazi Killing" tagline. He even drew staples at the seam to simulate a real comic book. If you want to see more of his work, check him out at http://scribblingidiot.blogspot.com/

It will probably be a month until I get another issue of Tarantino Comics (#11) posted. The comicbook convention season is starting pretty soon and I'll be getting more work done at MegaCon in Orlando at the end of March. After that, I will be going to at least two more cons this year. So please be patient as I promise to get more great covers soon. But until then, I hope you can enjoy some of my other posts about movies, comics, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment