Friday, June 10, 2011

2011 California Dreams Tour - Why I Love Katy Perry


So it's been a couple of weeks since I've last posted and it figures I'm about to write about something that will make me lose my "Tarantino Card": Katy Perry.

Last night, Katy Perry performed at the UCF Arena for her California Dreams Tour. Yes, most of the audience was teenage girls and gay couples, but I still enjoyed it and totally recommend everyone to see Katy perform at least once in their lifetime. The concert was very theatrical and followed the story of Katy who lives in a colorless world wasting life cutting meat for a disgusting butcher. One night, Katy escapes her boring reality by falling asleep and visits a vibrant "Candy Land" in search for her pet cat, "Kitty Purry." Along her journey, Katy encounters many interesting characters such as a personified slot machine named "Slot," Mimes who feed her pot brownies, and her love interest, the Baker Boy. As Katy travels through this fantasy world, she performs her songs, with a set-list consisting of:
  1. Teenage Dream
  2. Hummingbird Heartbeat
  3. Waking Up In Vegas
  4. You're So Gay
  5. Peacock
  6. I Kissed A Girl
  7. Circle The Drain
  8. E.T.
  9. Who Am I Living For
  10. Pearl
  11. Not Like The Movies
  12. Only Girl (Rhianna cover)
  13. Big Pimping (Jay-Z cover)
  14. Friday (Rebecca Black cover)
  15. Whip My Hair (Willow cover)
  16. Thinking Of You
  17. Hot N Cold
  18. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)
  19. I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Whitney Houston cover)
  20. Firework
  21. California Gurls
Katy Perry is a part of our pop culture with her whimsical sets, costumes, and lyrics. If I were to pick a favorite piece from last night's show, it has to be Hot N Cold - Not only is it my favorite Katy song but it had amazing costume changes in a similar fashion to the magician couple from America's Got Talent. By the vibration in the stands, you could tell the crowd favorites included Waking Up in Vegas, E.T., I Kissed a Girl, Firework, and Peacock.

Katy also showed she is more than an entertainer, but a musician as well. She played Thinking of You with her glittery guitar, swinging above the crowd in her "Cotton Candy Cloud." Katy also performed some acoustic covers of her favorite songs on the radio, including the annoying (yet hilarious) Friday by Rebecca Black.


Overall, I enjoyed the show and would definitely see Katy again when she visits "Whorlando" (a new name for Orlando coined by Katy herself). Although you usually won't find pop music on my play-lists, Katy Perry is a guilty pleasure and on my Top Five of Most Beautiful Women. Her music has enough "rock and roll" to keep me entertained and her personality is cute and quirky enough to keep me intrigued. Hopefully the next time she's in town, I get pulled on stage for a kiss as I won't mind whether her hair is black or blue.

So on Death List Five, Katy Perry's 2011 California Dreams concert ranks #5.

Now that I have this off my chest, please stay tuned in the very near future as I redeem my "Tarantino Card" by sharing some long awaited covers to Tarantino Comics!

3 comments:

  1. That girl is hotter than a bloodhound on the clay banks of a Georgian... Awe never mind. She's hot is the point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad a fellow horror fan can agree she is hot!

    ReplyDelete