Friday, August 17, 2012

Bullet Points - Martha Marcy May Marlene and Much Much More


 Here's some things I've watched in the last couple of weeks:
  • Louie - I'm always looking for Netflix TV shows to watch while torturing myself on the elliptical.  In the past, I've watched series such as Sons of Anarchy, Arrested Development, and Twin Peaks.  As I'm struggling to keep the motivation, FX has once again proven to be a powerhouse of entertainment.  In a similar vain to Seinfeld, Louie follows the life of comedian Louis C.K.  Louie is truly an auteur - He's the leading actor, writer, director, and producer.  He captures the humor of New York life with a gritty film style.  At times, the show can become quite serious and dramatic, but somehow that's where the humor really shines (I'm not sure how to explain).  Louie may be considered the "comedian's comedian," but there's plenty of times where I can't contain loud bursts of laughter exploding from my stomach as I try to burn calories at my local YMCA.  Anyways, I'm caught up with network television, so now it's time to find another show to get me through the gym...
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene - If you were to tell me the baby sister of the Olsen Twins had some serious acting chops, I wouldn't believe you.  However, Elisabeth Olsen proved me wrong in this psychological drama following a girl escaping a nutty cult.  Beautifully crafted, the film starts off with Martha running away from a creepy farmhouse and relocating with her older sister.  As Martha attempts to rejoin society (with odd behaviors such as swimming nude in a public lake or having a panic attack at a friendly dinner party), it shows how her mind was reprogrammed  by the cult through flashbacks.  The film does a terrific job arguing why this cult may be appealing (by showing the complications of our materialistic world), but obviously there was some horrific incidents that persuaded Martha to run away.  With a sense of constant paranoia, this movie is a horror flick in its own right and has brought my attention to a new star.
  • Katy Perry:  Part of Me - As you all know, I'm a huge fan of Katy Perry (see here).  And I admit, it may be a little gay to see this movie with a couple of other dudes, but how can you argue with seeing Katy in her full 3D Glory?!?! 
  • Ted - Everyone loves Family Guy.  So why not make a live action hour-and-a-half episode?  Filled with tons of pop culture references (especially Flash Gordon), Marky Mark, and crude humor, this movie is a riot.  And besides, you get to see the voice behind Meg...
  • Modern Times - The Artist has proven to be fun and whimsical movie.  I've also seen some Lon Chaney silents that are pretty eerie and frightening.  So how come I've never watched a Charlie Chaplin film?  Finally I popped in a used Criterion blu-ray disc I bought from Movie Stop almost a year ago and believe I came across a masterpiece.  Basically, Modern Times is a commentary of the Industrial Age and the Great Depression, but this film has a little bit of everything - Comedy, Romance, and Drama.  I loved all of the Tramp's humor, but it was his interaction with the homeless woman (Paullete Goddard) that really pulled at my heart strings.  And even though she's only shown in black and white (along with smears of dirt on her face), Paulette is gorgous - I believe she would have been my Jessica Alba if I was alive in the 1930's.  Anyways, I was really surprised by the film, loved the music (even composed by Chaplin), and laughed outloud several times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment