Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Top Five Countdown - Best Catholic Movies

Let's face it - As pop culture nerds, we like to categorize things into lists. We want others to know what we consider is the best of the best or the worst of the worst. Great conversations and debates come to fruition by comparing lists. However, the greatest payoff is when we discover something new we never heard of. Being the nerd that I am, I want to share my lists with you, so I'm starting a new blog segment called Top Five Countdown.

Since today is Ash Wednesday, this Top Five Countdown is a little quirky. Being Catholic, I've always felt I was a part of something grand and Holy by celebrating the ancient traditions of Catholicism. Yes, Catholics sometimes get a bad rap for those corrupt priests who molest young altar boys. However, to counteract this misfortune, I'm going to prove why Catholics are so kick-ass in my Top Five Countdown of the Best Catholic Movies:

5. The Godfather Part III: This is probably the worst movie in the trilogy, but it is still fun to watch. Al Pacino is trying to legitimize his empire by working with the Vatican, but "When he thought he was out, they pulled him back in!"

4. The Blues Brothers: You may think this Rhythm and Blues band was raised by Baptists, but remember, their mission was to save the Catholic Orphanage they grew up in.

3. Dogma: Two evil angels may potentially destroy all of existence through some Holy Dogma. However, if the Church didn't make this proclamation, you wouldn't see Salma Hayek as the beautiful Serendipity...

2. The Exorcist: This is by far the scariest movie. And I don't care what you say, only Catholic priests know how to exorcise demons.

1. Machete: Cheech Marin is the ultimate priest! Armed with crucifixes, holy water, and shot guns, why wouldn't you want to be part of his congregation?

This is my disclaimer: This post was purely for fun. Religion can be hard to write about without hurting people's feelings. So I am truly sorry if I've offended anyone! Otherwise, I hope you enjoyed this new segment and look forward to my next Top Five Countdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment